Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

New Law May Slow Cell Phone Cancer Epidemic
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
Go to bottom
Page: 1
TOPIC: New Law May Slow Cell Phone Cancer Epidemic
New Law May Slow Cell Phone Cancer Epidemic 7 Years, 6 Months ago  
Seems like cell phones will be accompanied with labels warnings against their potential health risks.
Maine Panel Weighs Cell Phone Cancer Warning.

Maine Panel Weighs Cell Phone Cancer Warning

Ignoring the health risks of heavy cell phone use invites a cancer epidemic, supporters of a bill requiring manufacturers to put labels on mobile phones and packaging said Tuesday.

"We can do nothing and wait for the body count. That's what happened with smoking" before warnings on cigarette packs were mandated, David Carpenter, director of the Institute for Health and Environment at the University of Albany, told Maine lawmakers.

The Health and Human Services Committee held a hearing on a bill that would make Maine the first state to carry warnings that they can cause brain cancer, especially among children. Opponents dismissed research pointing to the risks and said the bill is more about politics than science.

The sponsor, Rep. Andrea Boland, said the United States lags behind other countries that have either mandated similar warnings or endorsed policies warning the public about cell phone use.

Carpenter, a Harvard Medical School graduate and researcher with expertise in electromagnetic fields, said the strongest evidence of cell phone dangers comes from Europe, where the devices have been in use longer than in the United States. He told lawmakers that the U.S. "may face an epidemic of brain cancer" if nothing is done to warn consumers of risks.

Boland, D-Sanford, said the risks diminish markedly if the phone is held away from the head.

Olle Johansson, a scientist at Karolinska Institute in Sweden, submitted testimony saying that "very serious biological changes" that include cancer risks have been noticed for years from exposure to low-frequency magnetic fields like those emitted from cell phones.

Supporters also included brain cancer patient and relatives of victims who said the disease was triggered by cell phone use.

"When you put that phone to your head, you are unknowingly playing Russian roulette," said Alan Marks of the San Francisco Bay area, who's been diagnosed with a brain tumor.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
Reply Quote

Re:New Law May Slow Cell Phone Cancer Epidemic 6 Years, 5 Months ago  
Cell phone cancer was doubtful till now, but now is confirmed with the WHO report.
Cell phone usage linked to cancer

I doubt laws and awareness would drastically reduce cell phone usage, but good practices might step in and reduce cancer occurrences. That would be a good thing
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
Robert

Reply Quote

Re:New Law May Slow Cell Phone Cancer Epidemic 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
I have been using cell phones on a regular basis since they came out approx 25 years ago. My right ear and behind my right has had a differnet feeling for years.
I recently had Basal Cell Cancer behind my ear. I had surgery and had it removed.It covered an area about the size of a grapefruit. They needed to use skin grafting to cover the hole and lost skin.
There is little doubt in my mind that this was caused by heavy cell phone use. It is hard to prove but it seems this was the cause. More research should be done on this subject.
Enter code here   
Scott Klohs

Reply Quote

Go to top
Page: 1